Since I finally figured out the shredded Mexican chicken recipe with the awesome red sauce, of course, I felt the need to do a rendition of Enchiladas Divorciadas – aka. the best of both worlds if you can’t decide on red or green enchiladas, but I blended it this time and really loved the silky effect! I might even blend it next time I do the shredded chicken. For the Enchilada Verdes, I really enjoy Pinch of Yum’s Simple Enchiladas Verdes and then you mix basically the same internal ingredients (cheese & chicken) with some of the shredded chicken red sauce, and ba bam! You’ve got an easy, and quick duo-enchilada!
The other thing that I did with this recipe was using the instant pot to make my cooked shredded chicken, instead of buying the roasted chicken from the store simply because we had the frozen chicken breasts I needed. And it was SO simple! Legit, super easy to do, so I think I’m going to forego the deli chicken moving forward! HUZZAH! I will include the Instant Pot chicken recipe below too!
Hoping all of you reading this are staying safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
Ingredients – Serves 6-8
- 2-4 lb of cooked, shredded chicken (see below for the 10 minute Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe, or shred up some deli chicken!)
- 12 Street or Regular flour tortillas (depending on if you want baby enchiladas, or regular enchiladas)
- 1 can (14.5oz) of Rotel diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1-2 bags of Shredded Mexican Mix Cheese OR Chihuahua Cheese
Salsa Verde (from Pinch of Yum) – adapted quantities to this recipe! Also I cut corners with the garlic
- 10 tomatillos (medium sized), husks removed
- 2 jalapenos, halved, ribs & seeds removed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
Salsa Roja – from my Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 3 cans tomato sauce (14.5 oz)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp (or 1 tsp+, to taste) crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the tomatillos and jalapenos. Drizzle them with a little olive oil and salt, then roast for 30 minutes. Put the other ingredients, and roasted veggies, into the blender and blend it all up till smooth. Set aside.
- Blend all ingredients together for 1-2 minutes. Pour into a pot and simmer on low, stirring occasionally until ready to serve.
- Once your verde veggies are done, bring your oven down to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine your shredded chicken, the drained can of rotel, and 1/2-1 cup of the shredded cheese. You can also add in some cilantro if you’d like, but not necessary.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Place a couple spoonfuls of your filling on the tortilla and roll it up, arranging them in the pan seam side down. Put them in the oven as is (unsauced/naked) and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, get your two sauces into serving bowls. After 10-15 minutes, bring out your enchiladas, and put 2-3 on a plate. Spoon some of the red sauce over half the enchiladas, and spoon some of the green sauce on the other side (as even as you can get it). Top with more cilantro. cheese, sour cream as you desire and enjoy! Talk with your friends about which sauce is your favorite!
** Sauces can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for 1-2 weeks.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts
- 2-3 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth (or water if you’re short on the stock/broth)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine the ingredients into your instant pot. Try and get the chicken as under the stock as you can.
- Cover and set your Instant Pot lid vale to “sealing,” and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Do a 5 minute natural release, then a quick release (carefully, that steam is no joke).
- Open the lid and shred the chicken! Serve or store as needed! TA-DA!