HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! It’s 2021, and I think this will be a MUCH better year than last year. We are OFFICIALLY working on some projects in our new home, which is AMAZING and we’re so excited to get the big things done (replacing the knob and tube wiring for one, except in the kitch, which, fun fact, was a DIY Kitchen Crashers remodel!). Our home won’t be picture perfect out the bat, but slow & steady wins the race because, like all things, it’s going to take some time. This is when working from home really has some benefits.
However, I did get to break in the kitchen this week with a recipe my mom passed along that when she served it up and I was floored, so I’m dubbing this Momma Sully’s Mississippi Pot Roast.
Hoping all of you reading this are staying safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
Momma Sully’s Mississippi Pot Roast
Ingredients – Serves 8-10
- 4lb boneless beef roast, could be chuck, sirloin tip, or rump
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) of butter
- 1 packet of au jus gravy mix
- 1 packet of dry ranch dressing mix (Hidden Valley)
- one 12.5 oz jar of whole pepperoncini peppers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Put beef in a crock pot, add in the butter, au jus gravy mix, ranch dressing mix, the WHOLE JAR (juice and all) of the pepperoncini peppers, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, until tender.
- After cooking, pull out the beef and shred. Put all the leftover juice in a skillet. Make a slurry of some leftover juice and cornstarch, whisking till totally smooth, then add to the pan, and cook on low till thickens. Serve pot roast with the gravy, some mashed potatoes and roasted carrots (see below).
Momma Sully’s Roasted Carrots
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 1 bag of regular/rainbow carrots, peeled and cut in half, then cut those in half (think 2-3 inch sticks)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Cover a baking sheet in aluminum foil.
- Peel and cut the carrots. Toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until tender and browned (depending on your oven).