If you know me, or want to know anything about me, you should know that if I have to make a choice between beef tacos or shredded chicken tacos, I will ALWAYS choose chicken. Ever since I was little, back in the 90’s, and my mom would take me to Don Pablo’s and I tried their shredded chicken hard shell tacos, that was it for me. That became my absolute FAVORITE dish. Next to sushi, my second other FAVORITE thing in this world, but tacos were my first culinary love, and I am INCREDIBLY picky about my shredded chicken as a result. So…if I can’t find what I’m looking for, when I’m looking for it, that naturally means I need to figure out how to make it. I’ve tried salsa braised chicken, and it never quite gets to where I want it. So I took a step even further back, and I think…dare I say it…I cracked it. I have cracked my shredded chicken. In the words of Frankie, oh yeah, that’s it…and he knows because he’s had more shredded chicken tacos on my account than I think he would ever admit. So with that, FEAST AWAY!!!
PS. You may notice that the pictures I have included were part of a crunch wrap supreme we made at home – I will include the order in which it was assembled in case you would like to try this yourself!
Hoping all of you reading this are staying safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
Shredded Mexican Chicken
Ingredients – Serves 6 (or can make about 8 crunchwrap supremes)
- 2 chicken breasts (don’t cut them up)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cans of tomato sauce (14.5 oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- my Homemade Taco Seasoning (the whole thing)
- Combine the tomato sauce, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and taco seasoning together, set aside.
- In a dutch oven or medium pot, add your oil over medium-high heat, and add your chicken breasts whole, searing each side for about 3 minutes.
- Then add in the tomato mixture, and bring back to boil. Make sure both chickens are completely covered, and if not, add some water. Once boiling, turn heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pull chicken out and shred, then return to sauce for about 5 more minutes.
- Use in tacos, over rice, on salads, in burriots, or (as shown) in your own crunchwrap supremes!!!!
- You’ll need burrito sized tortillas (the largest), heated per instructions on the package. Then layer about 1/4 cup of chicken and sauce in the middle, top with warmed nacho cheese, top with a tostada (unwarmed, the chicken will do that for you), top THAT with a thin layer of sour cream, top THAT with shredded lettuce and diced tomato, and finally top THAT with mexican shredded cheese. Carefully fold up your tortilla and sear/toast the folded/seam side of your wrap first in either a cast iron skillet or saute pan (no oil, over medium/medium-low heat) until toasted (about 2 minutes), then flip and toast on the other side 2 minutes. (Feel free to press gently with a spatula or another pan.) THEN EAT!