It’s winter, it’s cold, and after being outside in the snow with my furry monsters, I get cravings for (drum roll) SOUP! I mean, Fall is the start of soup season, but I did a ton of soups this spring and wanted to hold off a little. But there is one soup that when I get the craving for, I get it BAD: Wonton soup. Now, the first time I had that “life changing soup” moment was at Miss Asia in downtown Chicago (which has sadly closed its doors). The dumplings were tender and flavorful, the broth garlic to the power of 100 (which for me, you can never have too much garlic), swimming in a pool of cilantro and green onions. It was my go to any time I was sick when we still lived in the city, and I still haven’t found a solid alternative up in the burbs (but I also haven’t had the craving for wonton soup in an age either). But then it hit me…wonton soup. I needed it, had to have it, and no one nearby was making it…so, I do what I always do: rolled up my sleeves and got to work.
The outcome? De.licious. Like, holy smokes this is pretty darn close to what I used to get at Miss Asia, and the best part? It took 10 minutes from start to finish. No joke (I timed it because I started to make it at 12:15 p.m. ahead of a 12:30 p.m. meeting, and I was back at my chair by 12:25 p.m). And there are less than 10 ingredients for this recipe too! YOU CAN’T BEAT IT! I put ranges for some of the seasoning because I like my wonton soup pretty powerful (again, love me garlic), so I would start at the low end and adjust according to YOUR tastes. (Every palate is different after all.)
P.S. Don’t forget that you can order cookies from me directly from my Cookie Order Page on this very same blog! (Yes, shameless plug, but I need to keep pushing it!)
Hoping you are safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
On the Easiest Wonton Soup
- 1 32oz box of Chicken Bone Broth (I like Swanson because no mushroom additives – and if you want to make this vegan/vegetarian, use veggie broth)
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch of green onions, whites and some green thinly sliced
- 1/4 cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 bag of frozen wontons (mini or regular doesn’t matter – these are what I got at my local store when I was just walking around the aisle)
- In a medium saucepan, add everything except the wontons and bring to a boil. once boiling, reduce to a simmer and let simmer for about 5-7 minutes. Taste the broth as you go and adjust your seasoning accordingly.
- After 5-7 minutes of simmering, add your wontons (I did the whole bag of what I bought which was just enough) to the broth and bring back to a boil for 1-2 minutes.