What a couple of months readers…in case you’re not following me on Instagram, or just didn’t know in general, I changed jobs at the beginning of the month! My day job is in legal marketing, so I said goodbye to the firm I joined the month following my wedding in 2018, to join a smaller firm as their business development manager in health care and privacy/cybersecurity! It’s a fantastic and super interesting space, and after only a few weeks, I am settling in nicely! It’s always hard to move, especially when you’ve gotten to know so many amazing people over the years, but sometimes that’s the only move to make to advance in your career. So that’s been pretty exciting!
Have you ever been to a shrimp boil? I haven’t, like, not a proper one, but I want to one of these days this summer! (Things I’m keeping an eye out for.) However, there are a couple places near me that provide that “boil” feel – specifically Low Country. Simple, messy, and delicious, they pack a major punch! I know I’ve talked about them before and then recreated my own version of their boil, but this time, I wanted to try out some different seasoning – Cajun seasoning! I have been adjusting a number of spices to create the perfect Cajun seasoning mix so you can make it from home on your own! I gotta say, I almost prefer it! So below is my take on a Cajun Shrimp Boil, and stay tuned for another Cajun inspired recreate experiment!!!
P.S. Don’t forget that you can order cookies from me directly from my Cookie Order Page on this very same blog! (Yes, shameless plug, but I need to keep pushing it!)
Hoping you are safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
Cajun Shrimp & Veggie Boil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2lb shrimp
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon of above Cajun Seasoning
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 ears of corn, broken down/cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons of above Cajun Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- For the seasoning, mix all together and set aside/store any extra in your pantry for use later on.
- For the veggies, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place your potatoes and corn in an oven safe baking dish. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan, and add in the Cajun seasoning, garlic, chili flakes, and lemon juice. Poor the butter mixture over the veggies and toss to coat completely. Cover your baking pan with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- While your veggies are baking, pat dry your shrimp on a plate with paper towels. When the veggies come out, melt the shrimp butter, and add in the oregano, chopped garlic, and Cajun seasoning, mixing it all together completely. Once the butter is melted and super hot, add in your shrimp and cook each side for 3-4 minutes on each side to get a good sear on the shrimp. Once cooked, serve the shrimp with the veggies and enjoy the messy deliciousness!!!