Happy New Year! The past two weeks Frankie & I (and Floyd) were enjoying the very snowy mountains of Breckinridge, Colorado with Frankie’s family. Floyd made the trip because we are still in the middle of potty training this one (for the record: Wired Haired Pointing Griffs are one of the HARDEST breeds to potty train…and train in general, but he’s SO eager to please and so gosh darn cute it hurts, so the time we put in is worth it), all while Tuggs enjoyed a very quiet and relaxing staycation back in Chicago (poor Floyd wears him out).
But now that we are home and getting back into the swing of things / getting on track with some of the resolutions we made, we’ve just not had a ton of time to really dig into any new or interesting recipes as of late. That being said, I feel like this thrown together salad (because eating more salads is one of my resolutions…slash just working out consistently again because that really does help keep the crazy days at bay better) really hit the spot! Sure, I’m cheating a little (or a lot) in having most of the items already prepared for me, but considering how chaotic it is getting my house cleaned, bags unpacked, clothes put away, dogs good to go…yeah I don’t have time for anything else right now. PLUS it’s just delicious….I will have another salad for you all soon using my mom’s go to vinaigrette (or rather her go to salad even) so stay tuned!
P.S. Don’t forget that you can order cookies from me directly from my Cookie Order Page on this very same blog! (Yes, shameless plug, but I need to keep pushing it!)
— Cooking Maggie
Chicken Fiesta Salad
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Ping of onion powder
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- EITHER 1 rotisserie chicken, cut up into bite sized pieces, OR a handful of your local grocery store pre-prepared chicken fingers, chopped into bite sized pieces
- (for rotisserie chicken) 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 beef steak tomato, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, OR chihuahua cheese
- 1 package of tortilla strips (usually found by the salads, hanging with the croutons)
- For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together and set aside in the fridge till ready to serve.
- For the salad, if using rotisserie chicken, mix with your BBQ, or make sure your chicken fingers are chopped up into bite sized pieces.
- Make your salad how you like it with the other ingredients, top with dressing, and eat.
- Seriously, it’s that simple.