Okay, so here’s how I feel about pork. I am not great at cooking it—thought I expect that’s because I don’t try very often, so that’s on me—and most of the time when I’ve had it at some restaurants (outside of barbeque, which, of course, I’m all over), it’s been dry…so it’s just not my favorite protein. That all being said, I do want to try cooking it more often simply because it’s fairly affordable, which we love when on a budget. And as I’m sure you’ve gathered already, I am obsessed with having tacos at LEAST once a week…or every other week since there are lots of ideas I’ve been meaning to try, and meals I’ve been hankering for (my Oktoberfest soup is definitely one as it’s been exceptionally rainy here the past few weeks, which puts me in a very cozy mood). SO! I figured, okay, let’s be brave and try pork, do something in the instant pot (because I am equally obsessed with this device), but maybe put it in a taco just in case it goes all wrong (insert awkward smile here). I shouldn’t have worried. Not only was it easy to throw together, but it was utterly delicious. We made tacos, tostadas, crunchwraps (our new favorite go to because it’s very versatile), and I think even a rice bowl would be absolutely sublime with this…and now I’m hungry for a rice bowl…okay, I need to work that into my dinner schedule.
My next VERY adventurous pork adventure: Pork Tenderloin & Mole Sauce! Stay tuned!
Hoping all of you reading this are staying safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
Instant Pot Carnitas
Ingredients – Adjusted to make about 6 servings
- 1 (4-pounds) boneless pork shoulder roast trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
- 1 12oz bottle of Pacifico or Corona
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Serving Suggestions (ingredients not included): Crunchwrap Supreme, Tacos, Quesadillas!!
- Start the “Saute” setting on the instant pot. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and working in 2 batches, add the pork pieces and sear until evenly brown, about 3-4 minutes each. Transfer the meat to a bowl or plate and repeat with all pork pieces.
- Pour the beer, orange juice, and lime juice into the pressure cooker and using a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any browned bits stuck to the bottom. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and return the pork and any collected juices to the instant pot.
- Close the lid and make sure the valve is in the sealed position. Cook on HIGH pressure for 60 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes before fully releasing the pressure. Then remove the lid.
- Remove the pork from the pressure cooker and shred the meat. Return the shredded pork to the instant pot and toss to get the meat all coated with the cooking liquid.
- Serve as a taco, crunch wrap supreme filling, quesadilla filling, or eat over cilantro rice! Be sure to save some of that cooking liquid for reheating so it doesn’t dry out!