2020 has been…I don’t know even know, and I’m sure a lot of you feel the same. A lot of things (good and bad) have happened, as I know many of you have experienced as well. Last week I did not post anything because my grandfather passed away on Monday. He was an amazing person, with an outrageous career as an Air Force pilot (he was one of 11 pilots who got to fly the SR-71 Blackbird for the CIA – how many people can say that?!), and he even made the trip from Colorado Springs to Buffalo for our wedding two years ago. I will miss him dearly, but I know that he’s with my Grandma, which brings some comfort.
And then you have some good things too, which in light of the timing of everything, was really bittersweet. If aren’t on Instagram (which is where I post a lot of the cookies I’m currently working on), on Thursday, Frankie & I closed on our very first home together! Below is the brand new headquarters of The Real Cooking Maggie, and I’m pretty excited to get in there. Double ovens for all the cookies!
Now, for this week’s recipe! With the holidays in full swing, my family LOVES a baller dip – something that pairs well with a beer, a glass of wine, you know, those moments when everything is on pause because you’re tired from cooking, or just relaxing (which can be exhausting too) and you want to just sit around the table and talk, laugh, share stories. Well, this is a great dip for just that! Surprising light, luscious, and all the good kinds of cheesy, this is a great dip for pregaming to holiday football games, and Christmas movies. Oh, and if you have a fireplace, and enjoy whiskey, may I suggest a move to that area, sitting on some pillows on the floor, and putting this on a small table in the middle. Yeah…that’s definitely the stuff.
UPDATE 1/1/2021: we made it AGAIN and adjusted it to ONE BOWL!!! No precooking the cheese none sense, and we changed the cheese to white cheddar for some extra oomph (and took out the spinach because it felt excessive).
Anyway, hoping your days with the ongoing holiday season are merry and bright! And hoping all of you reading this are staying safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
Creamy Artichoke & Crab Dip
Ingredients – Serves 6-8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 jar or can (8.5 oz) articoke hearts, drained and diced
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup white cheddar blend, shredded
- 1 tsp hot sauce, or less to taste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, or more to taste (this is a favorite in our house so it was more 1/4 cup lol)
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 12 oz lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Put mixture into an 8×8 baking and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top begins to brown. You can also turn on the broiler as needed to get that nice brown crust!
- All the dip to cool for 5 minutes, then serve with veggies and cut up pieces of bread! YUM!