Once again, I’m sharing one fo the recipes from our weekly cooking sessions with the coworkers from my day job! Now, if you know anything about me, you know that I don’t eat eggy things. Mixed in, we’re all good, but if it’s cooked eggs mixed in, eh, I’d rather not. I just don’t like the smell, the taste, the texture, and I don’t like that I don’t like them. I wish I did because it would make choosing a brunch place a lot easier. That all being said this recipe was NOTHING like I thought it was going to be, and that first bite was just…a game changer for me. Velvety, rich, and luscious, this pasta brought me back for seconds. I will be making this recipe again, and I really suggest that you do too!
Hoping all of you reading this are staying safe and well!
— Cooking Maggie
Traditional Pasta Carbonara
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup of grated parmesan with extra for serving
- 10oz of pancetta or bacon cut into bite sized chunks
- 1lb packet of dried spaghetti or buccatini
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Olive oil
- Salt for Pasta Water only
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Get your pasta water boiling. Add in salt when water starts to bubble, not before. (NOTE: WE ARE NOT GOING TO DRAIN THE PASTA! WE WILL BE REMOVING IT DIRECTLY FROM THE POT INTO THE COOKING PAN SO WE HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THAT AMAZING SALTY WATER!)
- Whisk your egg yolks, parm cheese, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large pan, cook your pancetta (or bacon). At the same time, cook your pasta.
- When your pancetta/bacon is almost cooked, add in your garlic and peas, cook for 30 seconds. Take the pan off the heat.
- Immediately check on your pasta, and if cooked just remember, DO NOT DRAIN THE PASTA! Remove the pasta directly from the pot into the pan with the pancetta and garlic, then pour in the whisked egg yolk and parm cheese mixture. Add in 1/4 cup of water at a time to loosen the sauce up to completely cover the pasta (and keep what pasta you have left for any leftover reheating). Once the pasta has been covered to your preference, serve with extra parm cheese.