Tempura Chicken Nuggets
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch or arrow root powder
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning post-fry
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Canola Oil for frying
- Combine the flour, cornstarch/arrow root, club soda, egg, salt, and pepper, mixing until just combined. If it’s a little thin, that’s okay. Add chicken and gently stir to coat – DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Heat a few inches of oil in a skillet or dutch oven until shimmering (around 350°). Cook chicken in batches (do not overcrowd!) until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per batch.
- Place cooked chicken on a rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towel, or on a drying rack. Sprinkle with extra salt. Repeat step 2 and 3 until all chicken is cooked.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or ponzu sauce!