- 2 cornish game hens*
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 stick of soften butter
- Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Your favorite stuffing – I used the Simple is Best Dressing from Bon Appetit
- Optional: Kitchen twine
- Optional: Gravy – I’m still looking for the perfect recipe – if you have one, SEND MY WAY!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and slightly grease a 13×9 baking pan (glass or metal) with butter or olive oil.
- Melt the butter for basting in a small sauce pan over low heat, and add in all the spices. Mix well, and set aside.
- Remove the innards, rinse the inside of the bird, and pat dry all over (including the insides). Carefully smear butter all over the breast meat, underneath the skin, and then on top of the skin, seasoning with salt & pepper.
- Add your preferred stuffing (it should be cooled) inside of your game hens. Optional: Tie the legs together with twine, and tuck in the wings. Baste the hens with a little of the basting liquid, and place in the middle of your oven.
- Bake for 1 hour (or until thigh/breast reach 165°F inside), basting the hens every 15 minutes.
- Tent with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
* You can find frozen cornish game hens in your frozen meat section – they also should come in pairs!