The Perfect Bacon
- Paper Towel
- Aluminum Foil / Wire Rack
- Baking Sheet
- Set oven to 420 degrees, then run each strip of bacon under cold water.*
- Either layer the bacon on a wire rack that fits in a large baking pan or cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and layer the bacon inside. Maker sure the bacon is not overlapping.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, checking at the 10 minute mark, then every 2 minutes after that to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Using tongs, move bacon from the sheet to a plate lined with a paper towel to sop up some of that grease, then use as needed!
* Yes, cold water, because what that does is prevents the meat from shrinking once its in the oven.
Cooking Maggie’s Guacamole
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1/2 plum tomato, diced small
- 1/4 small white onion, diced finely
- 1/4 jalapeno (or more to preference), diced finely (leave seeds in if you like heat)
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice (to preference)
- Cut avocado in half, remove seed, and spoon meat (flesh?) into a small bowl. Smash with the back of a fork.
- Dice tomatoes, jalapeno, and onion, mince garlic, and add to smashed avocado and stir.
- Chop up cilantro and add to bowl, stirring to incorporate. Finally, add a dash of salt and squeeze in lime juice, tasting to preference (I add about 1/2 a lime at a time). Stir to combine and serve!!!
Cooking Maggie’s BLTG Sandwiches
- 1 loaf of Sourdough bread, sliced
- Mayonnaise (amount is to preference, but you’ll need about 1-2 teaspoons per side of each slice for toasting purposes)
- 3-4 strips of crispy bacon (per sandwich, see recipe on Perfect Bacon above)
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced (about 1/16″ to 1/4″)
- Romaine Lettuce
- 1-2 scoops of guacamole (see my own recipe above!)
- Cook your bacon until nice and crispy, and let it sit on a paper towel covered plate (or newspaper if you’re old school!) and set aside.
- Make your guacamole, set aside.
- Smear mayonnaise on both sides of each slice of bread, and toast in a pan until lightly browned and crispy on the on outside, and place on a plate.
- Smear a little more mayo on one of the slices of bread, then top with the lettuce, then tomato, then bacon, and finally, the guacamole. If you want more mayo, smear some more on the other slice. Otherwise, place the second slice on top, cut in half (if you want), and omz nomz NOMZ!